This large tank was
built by Queen Ambika, wife of King Shiva Singha, in the year 1734 and named it after her
husband. The tank is built on an area of around 130 acres. It was originally 64 feet in
depth. The embankment of this tank is artificial and raised the surface of water to
height of around 40 feet from the surrounding plain. According to historian Mills this
tank was built in one night! The water level of the tank testifies to the advanced
hydrology of Ahomperiod as the level of the tank never changes and remains above the
level of the town all the time. Currently this tank's bank is the center of distric
administration and also many parks, gardens and a museum etc. Apart from the temples
the bank also carries a Church, a Buddhist Monastery and a Masjid, almost assimilating
people from all the religions into it.
The Sivasagar tanks also known as 'Borpukhuri' is one of the important habitats of the migratory
birds during the winter season now-a-days is also the most attractive landscape of the Sibsagar town.
This tank with three grand temples has emerged as the testimony to the growth, development and consolidation of
a culture - that continues upto modern times - in the psyche of the Assamese people.
Find more photos in the